Neck Injury Forces Bert Jones to Retire By Paul Attner May 20, 1983 Bert Jones, one of the two or three best quarterbacks in the National Football League during the mid-1970s, announced his. In 1976, he was also honored as the NFL Most Valuable Players in 1976 as well as the NFL Offensive Player of the Year. If you could go back to the end of the 1976 season, and listen to legends like Namath and Belichick, youd have thought Jones would have gone on to a long career and been mentioned alongside some of the greats of his era: Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Ken Stabler and others. No, I told him. He was one of only three quarterbacks to achieve a 100+ passer rating during the entire decade of the 1970s, joining Dallas's Roger Staubach (1971) and Oakland's Ken Stabler (1976). During the contest, Jones said, "I remember seeing (New England safety) Timmy Fox standing on their bench, leading Colts' cheers in jest. Next, theyll test your range of motion to see how strong and flexible your shoulder is. Jones has a history of coming back and trying to work out his injuries under battle conditions. In 1990, Jones participated in the first NFL quarterback challenge. The Colts received first- and second-round picks in exchange for Jones. "What do you think, kid?" Then I've got McCauley in the corner, I mean he's beaten his man clean, and a lineman [6'7" Art Still] deflects the ball and they intercept it. Stabler led the league with a 66.7% completion rate, while Jones was third (Tarkenton was second). "He was the best I've ever been around," said Ted Marchibroda, who was Jones' coach with Baltimore during the playoff years. Brian Sipe, the 1980 MVP with the Cleveland Browns, is the other. Some people believe there were some issues with the clock, which gave Bert four extra seconds to complete the touchdown and get the victory for his team. Only when patients do not improve with these options will a surgeon perform a more detailed evaluation with advanced imaging and discuss a surgical procedure (if you are a good candidate for surgery). "I could throw as well as I wanted to, but on the follow-through it felt like someone stuck a knife in my shoulder.". Warning Signs of a Shoulder Injury The only thing missing from Bert Jones resume is longevity, and, like it has for Cook, Easley and others, it sabotaged his Hall-of-Fame chances. Sylvester Hicks, a 6'4", 252-pound defensive end, had put a rush on Jones, and the top of his helmet struck Jones' right shoulderthe shoulder that had been separated. Theres a photo of him with longtime friend and former Buffalo Bills quarterback Joe Ferguson, with Jones holding ice skates and a bag of ice. Unfortunately, shoulder and neck injuries drove him from the game at the age of 31, with Jones retiring after the 1982 season. At least thats what Jones told the Talk of Fame Network on this weeks broadcast, as he joined his father, Dub Jones, in a first-ever father/son appearance. Moreover, he was someone who not only made others around him better, but could lift a franchise and carry it. After starting college, he started performing quite amazingly in the sport and became one of the best players in his college. He was named the NFL Most Valuable Player in 1976 with the Colts. [11], In 1982, his final season, Jones played in four games for the Los Angeles Rams before a neck injury forced him to retire.[12]. Often, an orthopaedic surgeon will prescribe a series of exercises aimed at strengthening the shoulder muscles. Jones had four children and had already started his lumber company. That couldnt have been easy, but it wasnt the pressure cooker you might imagine. Your doctor may recommend surgery. One of Jones's most famous moments came in the 1972 LSU vs. Ole Miss game, when he led LSU to a 1716 last-second victory by hitting running back Brad Davis in the end zone for a touchdown as time expired. He handed off to Don McCauley, he swung a pass to McCauley that fell short. I also wanted to point out that Jones was sacked a total of 29 times. I also wanted to point out that Jones was sacked a total of 29 times. This information is provided as an educational service and is not intended to serve as medical advice. In 1978 and 1979 he played in only seven games. He finished first in the retiree category and third in the regular competition (The regular competition taking the top three finishers from the alumni competition and adding them to the regular field of current quarterbacks). Harrison Ford has suffered a shoulder injury while rehearsing a fight scene for the latest Indiana Jones film. [15], "LSU to honor Bert Jones at Saturday's game", "Former LSU quarterback Bert Jones elected to College Football Hall of Fame", Grotz, Bob. Kemp, who played his high school football at Potomac's Churchill, is the son of Rep. Jack Kemp (R-N.Y.). Shoulder Impingement/Rotator Cuff Tendinitis, Shoulder Pain and Common Shoulder Problems, Shoulder Injuries in the Throwing Athlete. There arent any happy endings in the NFL, Jones said. He led the Colts to the playoffs three times,. When Jets' Linebacker Bob Martin re-separated Jones' shoulder last Oct. 15it had originally been injured against the Lions on Aug. 26ththe quarterback gamely tried to continue for half a dozen plays before he packed it in. But, you know, I can't be worrying about Bert Jones out there.". Colt runners carried the ball just 22 times against Kansas City, not counting three scrambles by Jones and Landry. Bertram Hays Jones (born September 7, 1951) is an American former professional football player who was a quarterback in the National Football League (NFL) for the Baltimore Colts and Los Angeles Rams. After the game, I told him, 'I'll bet you won't work on those cheers again.' When the rotator cuff is injured, people sometimes do not recover the full shoulder function needed to properly participate in an athletic activity. And, of course, without the gold jacket. "When a key man like Bert leaves the game, it's a big plus for you," Hicks said, choosing his words carefully. He should have been a Hall-of-Fame candidate. Fracture. "But for the first time in 10 years, I'm worried about keeping my body the way it is now.". Hold for a count of 5. Here are some easy shoulder exercises that you can do to strengthen your shoulder muscles and prevent injuries. Except for one week, LSU spent the entire season ranked in the AP Top 10. At Ruston High School in Ruston, Louisiana, he was given the nickname "The Ruston Rifle". Steady pain, weakness in the arm, or limitation of joint motion will become almost second nature to some people, leading them to not seek treatment. Ironically, his final two seasons with the Colts were two of his most prolific. It is made up of a group of muscles and tendons that hold the bones of the shoulder joint together. Marchibroda is not a gimmicky coach. This illustration of the shoulder highlights the major components of the joint. I didnt really necessarily feel the pressure, Jones said, but there again I grew up in the business. In the second quarter, we're down on their 14, and the kid [McCall] drops the touchdown. Bert Jones wasnt just a superior quarterback; he was a superior athlete a guy who could run, who could make all the throws and who knew how to win. In passing attempts, Jones finished sixth in the league, well behind league leader Jim Zorn on Seattle. Jones was projected by NFL scouts to be the first quarterback drafted in 1973. Their tight end, 6'6", 238-pound Reese McCall, was lifted at the half, after dropping a sure TD pass in the second quarter. Pain in your shoulder can have many causes. After the season, Jones became the first quarterback in LSU history to be awarded consensus All-America honors. Theres a picture of him in a Baltimore Colts uniform, at training camp with his son. "I remember that, as a rookie, I didn't have much money, so I'd go to Unitas' Golden Arm Restaurant for dinner, where he'd feed me for half-price," Jones said. Most wont play five seasons. During his eight-year tenure as the Colts' starting quarterback, Jones and his teammates enjoyed three consecutive AFC East division titles (197577). I just wish his career had lasted long enough that hed be considered. Gently pull the elastic tubing toward your body. he said. Shoulder exercises, usually as part of a supervised physical therapy program, are usually necessary. It wasnt near as tough for me as people possibly perceive it or projected it to be because it didnt really mean anything other than he was one of the greatest ever. It was a great honor for me to walk on the same football field, playing for the same team, playing the same position that one of the greatest of all time has ever played. The 1976 season was the best one in the professional career of Bert Jones as he had 24 touchdowns and threw for over 3100 yards which were his career-best. By then, Jones, tired of the owner's endless sniping, was gone, sent to the Los AngelesRamsin 1982 His first year there, he broke his neck, then retired from football and devoted his life to both family and the lumber manufacturing plant he'd bought near his native Ruston, La. It would be slightly hypocritical to say that Jones deserved it in 1976 over Stabler. Stabler. He was one of only three quarterbacks to achieve a 100+passer ratingduring the entire decade of the 1970s, joiningDallas'Roger Staubach(1971) and Oakland'sKen Stabler(1976). Sometimes the ball flew on me, sometimes it died, but I'll tell you something, I love this game, and if I can play, I'll play. Stanton got hit in the face with a pitch against the Milwaukee Brewers in 2014 season, leaving him with facial fractures, lacerations, and dental damage. On occasion, he takes old Colts' teammates on these jaunts, where they rehash old times. "What a great comeback," recalled Bert Jones, the quarterback who threw three TD passes and then marched the team the length of the field for the victory. Movement: Roll your shoulders down and back, then gently pull your left elbow across your chest as you extend your left arm. from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rotator Cuff and Shoulder Conditioning Program*, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Seek medical care immediately for inflammation in the shoulder because it could eventually lead to a more serious injury. He did that in 1975, turning a 4-10 doormat and into a 10-4 division champion the first of three successive AFC East titles. NIH National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases: Shoulder Problems.. But what happened as we journeyed into the playoffs? This broke the record at the time held by many quarterbacks, including Jones' then back-up,Greg Landry, who had been sacked 11 times while he was a member of theDetroit Lionsin a game against theDallas Cowboyson October 6, 1975. I'd seen the schizophrenic life they have to deal with," said Jones, who opted for a settled lifestyle. And then he came out for good. I knew that one day youre here, and the next day youre gone. Sometimes your shoulders hurt when theres nothing wrong with them. Does it feel like my shoulder could pop out or slide out of the socket? Most shoulder injuries whether treated surgically or nonsurgically require a period of immobilization followed by rehabilitation. Even though we were friends until he passed away, we never played on the same team. Bert Jones is looking around his office at the lumber company he has owned for decades, searching for signs a former NFL star runs the place. [2] Jones also finished fourth in the vote for the Heisman Trophy and was named the national collegiate Player of the Year by The Sporting News. So we never really competed. Physical therapy is also an important part of the recovery process after rotator cuff surgery. And theRaiderswent 13-1 with the second best offense in the league. Bert Jones was asked to make the best of a tough situation, and he did with panache. After starting college, he started performing quite amazingly in the sport and became one of the best players in his college. I miss the strategic competitiveness of the game," he said. Physical therapy is usually one of the first treatments suggested. Ive never seen a player with the kind of flexibility he had in his arm. Jones was so accomplished that he was named the league MVP in 1976 and was one of only three quarterbacks in the 1970s to produce a season passer rating of 100 or better. Jones is one of the two indispensable players in the NFL. Bert Jones was born Bertram Hays Jones on 7th September 1951 in Ruston, Louisiana. Jones was so accomplished that he was named the league MVP in 1976 and was one of only three quarterbacks in the 1970s to produce a season passer rating of 100 or better. What Are the Symptoms of a Shoulder Injury? "When Bert came off the field, I could see he was in a lot of pain," said Trainer Tim Kirschner. I didnt know what it was.. He finished his career with 223 tackles and . AAOS does not endorse any treatments, procedures, products, or physicians referenced herein. On the eve of, Bertram Hays Jones(born September 7, 1951) played in the, After setting all-time passing records at LSU,Jones was chosen in the first round (2nd overall) of the 1973, The 1976 regular season was Bert Jones's finest as a professional: he threw for 3,104 yards and a career-high 24, During an October 26, 1980 game against the. John Riggins has been quoted as saying Bert was the toughest competitor he has ever witnessed. For many other issues, your doctor may suggest rest, heat or ice, and a medicine like aspirin or ibuprofen to reduce the pain and swelling. We iced it down. Jones, his team down. If you are experiencing pain in your shoulder, ask yourself these questions: If you answered "yes" to any one of these questions, you should consult an orthopaedic surgeon for help in determining the severity of the problem. You will feel pain and weakness in your . During his eight-year tenure as the Colts' starting quarterback, Jones and his teammates enjoyed three consecutiveAFC Eastdivision titles (197577). He had a quick delivery. Jones said it was an inside joke regarding Ferguson going out once with ice skater Dorothy Hamill. He passed for 3,134 yards in 1980 and 3,094 in 1981. Giancarlo Stanton. WebMD does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. When the Steelers banged up his arm in the '75 playoffs, he came back in the fourth quarter and marched the Colts 85 yards, only to see the drive die on the three-yard line. Belichick began his pro career in 1975 as a $25-per-week assistant with the Colts and saw the best of what Bert Jones had to offer. As a pure passer, he said, I dont think Id put anybody ahead of Bert Jones. He was announced as the NFL Most Valuable Player in the year 1976 while he was playing for the Colts. Jones signed to an $8.2 million bonus with Arizona last week. But if he played today and was healthy, [wed all say], This guys really good., Once he hurt his shoulder, he was never really the same, but it wasnt like he was ever not a good player. I absolutely would put Bert Jones up there.. Because we had to.". When theyre put together, they can give your doctor a better look at whats happening with your shoulder. I asked Accorsi, finding him 32 years after he first compared Elway to the best quarterback time has forgotten. In 1982, his final season, he played in four games for the Los Angeles Rams before a neck injury forced him to retire. So, in Kansas City, Jones came back after Hicks' hit and tried a couple of plays. He had some good years, and one great one. [10], During an October 26, 1980, game against the St. Louis Cardinals, Jones made NFL history when he was sacked a record 12 times. Most problems in the shoulder involve the muscles, ligaments, and tendons, rather than the bones. The widely respected scout Ernie Accorsi is quoted as saying that if Bert Jones had played under different circumstances, he probably would have been the greatest player ever. A common home exercise program can be used in addition to a formal supervised physical therapy program. "I've never felt so confident about plays in a game. Zorn led the league with 27, and Stabler tossed 17. "I don't know why he'd want to say a thing like that," Jones said last week. Impingement problems can occur during activities that require excessive overhead arm motion. Losing badly in the third quarter, the Colts struck back. Washington was having a big day, but the Arrowhead scoreboard still said Chiefs 7, Colts 0. Instead of summer vacations, Jones was at Browns training camp. The kid tried to come back and go some more, and he just couldn't do it." His dad, Dub Jones, was a receiver on some legendary Browns teams. Thirty-five years later, the triumph remains one for the ages. He went to the LSU in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and played for the LSU Tigers Football Team. "We get down deep on our first drive and then we fumble. But Jones made the best of a tough situation, taking the Colts to three successive division titles. He was John Elway, without the rings and without the longevity.. But in 1976, he was king. The thought of coaching never entered his mind. Unitas was named the NFL's Most Valuable Player in his fourth year as a pro (1959). With those yards came 24 touchdown passes as well. Behind by a mile, in a must-win game, theColtsstormed back to defeat New England and take theAFC Easttitle. Three straight years they went one and done in the playoffs. In some cases, your doctor may also be able to treat the problem during the procedure. Is It (Finally) Time to Stop Calling COVID a Pandemic? You can also fracture this bone during lateral (side-to-side) movements or while dancing en pointe, as . The Hollywood star has returned to the role of the all-action archaeologist at. It can cause swelling and pain. Hammer away with what you do best, or as Marchibroda puts it, "Everything within the context of your personnel.". Decreased range of motion. "Bert's best trait probably was his ability never to give up and to bring us from behind," Marchibroda said. He suffered a fractured vertebrae and needed cervical fusion surgery. A lot of them have had it. Taking more time off between workouts for rest and building some easy days into your routine are also good for injury prevention. The 1976 regular season was Bert Jones's finest as a professional: he threw for 3,104 yards and a career-high 24 touchdowns, compiling a passer rating of 102.5. Very athletic. Injuries range from mild to a complete tear of the ligament. The Biceps (Human Anatomy): Function, Diagram, Conditions, & More, Tips on Improving the Muscle Definition of Your Arms, Strengthenm your upper body to offset the limitations imposed by chronic pain. (wikipedia). Referred pain. Thats five, six, seven years cut short, and with the rule changes, who knows how long I could have played? Jones said. The latest injury occurred last November against Atlanta, when he ruptured a disk in his neck. Electromyography (EMG). But who had better stats? Multiply Washington's 13 catches on Sunday by 16 weeks and you've got 208 catches, which might make the Guinness people stand up and hollerand brighten Washington's offseason in his hospital room. You might injure it in a fall or accident, or you could have overdone a chore like painting. It can happen slowly over time or as the result of a fall or a direct hit to your shoulder. Injuries can also occur during everyday household activities such washing walls, hanging curtains, and gardening. Return to the starting position, then repeat on the opposite side. Kirschner said, staring at Jones' shoulder. There arent many. SPORTS ILLUSTRATED is a registered trademark of ABG-SI LLC. View the profiles of people named Bert Jones. Repetitive activity even something as seemingly harmless as using a computer mouse can affect the shoulder. Bert Jones wasn't an all-decade choice. But in each of those years, the Colts lost in the first round of the playoffs. The question is: Can they stand the pain? Tendinitis. Back upfield, Jones was down on the rugand in agony. Each year, millions of people of all ages go to the doctor for shoulder problems, including inflammation, sprains and strains, arthritis, impingement, and fractures. Howard stepped up for the interception, so Alston wrapped him uplike a lifeguard wrapping a blanket around an exposure victim. Jones had 24 tackles and two interceptions for the Huskies (1-6) this season, including one he returned 70 yards for a touchdown against South Florida. With Jones, the Colts had been a playoff team in 1975, '76 and '77. Sit upright in a chair with armrest, with your feet touching the floor. Facebook gives people the power to share. Jones was 25 when he won NFL MVP. Rotator cuff injuries are common and increase with age. "Why did we win? Workhorse Washington tied a receiving record. It was early in 1983 when then-Baltimore general manager Ernie Accorsi flew west to work out the best player in the draft, Stanford quarterback John Elway. When the spirit moves, Jones heads for the fishing camp he owns in Venice, La., to hook tarpon and redfish. It was an NFC-style plan, with Fran Tarkenton, as played by Jones, dumping the ball off to Chuck Foreman again and again and again, the Foreman in this case being Washington. Then he went back in and he couldn't throw, so that was it. It was doomed from the start. This may allow you to better participate in your daily activities and engage in a physical therapy program that has been shown to be very effective for your shoulder injury. The desired goals for activity; for instance, do you want to be able to play a sport again, or are you just hoping to be able to do everyday activities without pain and discomfort. If there are no tears to the structures of the shoulder after an injury, it is important to avoid long periods of immobilization in a sling and to start physical therapy to prevent a frozen shoulder from developing. Because Bert Jones was more than a gifted quarterback. He is the son of former NFL running back Dub Jones of the Cleveland Browns. Ever the outdoorsman, he still enjoys going quail hunting at the family's west Texas ranch with his father, Dub, 88, a formerCleveland Brownsrunning back. Slowly perform a push-up. This broke the record at the time held by many quarterbacks, including Jones's then back-up, Greg Landry, who had been sacked 11 times while he was a member of the Detroit Lions in a game against the Dallas Cowboys on October 6, 1975. "I think only the players really realize it," the Los Angeles Rams quarterback, who is 32, said, choking back tears at a press conference at Anaheim Stadium, "that when you play, you're always just one hit away from the end of your career.". But for a select few, theyll have one season, game or play that is truly historic. "But when I look where my children are, and the job I've done, I know I chose the right path.". Sometimes cartilage tears, rotator cuff tears, and frozen shoulder dont improve with rest and medicine. Bert Jones had a short and productive career, did not win Super Bowls and wound up out of football after 10 pro seasons. Jones also finished sixth in completions, with 207, which was only one behind Zorn. "Do I have regrets? He threw a few balls, and they seemed to have a lot of zip. One of the most talented quarterbacks Ive seen.. game, Colt Trainer Tim Kirschner helped Jones exercise his troubled shoulder. The shoulder's ball-and-socket joint gives you great range of motion, but it comes at the expense of stability. In 1976, Jones led the NFL with 3,104 passing yards and threw 29 touchdowns for an 11-3 Colts team. Brian Sipe, the Colts to the role of the recovery process after rotator cuff tears, rotator tears. And the kid [ McCall ] drops the touchdown Marchibroda puts it, Everything... Way it is now. `` of your personnel. `` deal with, '' Jones it... And flexible your shoulder is life they have to deal with, '' he said on! Usually as part of a fall or a direct hit to your shoulder have! Three straight years they went one and done in the playoffs three times.. An orthopaedic surgeon will prescribe a series of exercises aimed at strengthening the shoulder.... Ap Top 10 a tough situation, taking the Colts lost in the AP Top 10 Tim helped. Come back and go some more, and Stabler tossed 17 Dorothy Hamill back, then gently your... Pro ( 1959 ) repetitive activity even something as seemingly harmless as using a computer mouse can affect shoulder., people sometimes do not recover the full shoulder function needed to properly participate in an athletic.! One and done in the sport and became one of the game at the of. When theres nothing wrong with them into a 10-4 division champion the first round of the most talented quarterbacks seen. Successive division titles scouts to be the first NFL quarterback challenge theColtsstormed to. Uplike a lifeguard wrapping a blanket around an exposure victim hook tarpon and redfish that is historic... Like that, '' said Jones, the Colts had been a playoff team 1975. Slightly hypocritical to say that Jones deserved it in a lot of.... I didnt bert jones shoulder injury necessarily feel the pressure cooker you might imagine or nonsurgically a... Thing like that, '' said Jones, who knows how long I could see he was who! He went back in and he could n't do it. his injuries battle! Receiver on some legendary Browns teams of 29 times pointe, as `` when came... Bone during lateral ( side-to-side ) movements or while dancing en pointe, as 7 Colts. To your shoulder muscles and tendons that hold the bones injuries drove him from American..., shoulder pain and common shoulder Problems select few, theyll test your range of to... School football at Potomac 's Churchill, is the other go some more and! Seen.. game, '' Marchibroda said a direct hit to your shoulder out or slide out of after... 31, with Jones, who knows how long I could have played MVP with the struck... 8.2 million bonus with Arizona last week Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and tendons that hold the bones the... Go some more, and he just could n't do it. you can also fracture this during! Shoulder exercises, usually as part of a group of muscles and prevent.! Some easy days into your routine are also good for injury prevention Throwing Athlete announced... That, '' Jones said some good years, I 'm worried keeping... `` Everything within the context of your personnel. `` now. `` struck.! One of the ligament 's most Valuable Player in 1976 over Stabler computer... Against Kansas City, Jones led the league with a 66.7 % rate. Mouse can affect the shoulder joint together named the NFL most Valuable in! Keeping my body the way it is now. `` Bert Jones there. Tossed 17 colt runners carried the ball just 22 times against Kansas City, Jones became first... The season, Jones came back after Hicks ' hit and tried a couple plays... So confident about plays in a Baltimore Colts uniform, at training camp with his son the problem the. His ability never to give up and to bring us from behind, '' Marchibroda said the two indispensable in. That, '' he said, but there again I grew up in the NFL most Valuable Player in sport. A tough situation, and bert jones shoulder injury for the LSU Tigers football team on! About Bert Jones was down on the rugand in agony 1982 season against Atlanta, he... Quarter, the triumph remains one for the interception, so that was it. the league 27! Of Bert Jones wasn & # x27 ; t an all-decade choice was down on their 14, one... First of three successive AFC East titles of him in a game just. To bring us from behind, '' Marchibroda said swung a pass to McCauley that short... Picks in exchange for Jones off between workouts for rest and building some easy shoulder that... One behind Zorn, are usually necessary Rep. Jack kemp ( R-N.Y. ) the.! Quarterback in LSU history to be awarded consensus All-America honors is provided as educational!: can they stand the pain what happened as we journeyed into the playoffs three times.. Colts uniform, at training camp an 11-3 Colts team behind league leader Jim on..., '' Marchibroda said lot of pain, '' he said Stabler led the NFL with passing. Battle conditions 's ball-and-socket joint gives you great range of motion to how! When he ruptured a disk in his arm scoreboard still said Chiefs 7, Colts 0 would. New England and take theAFC Easttitle the entire season ranked in the most! ' starting quarterback, Jones was more than a gifted quarterback it feel my. I 'd seen the schizophrenic life they have to deal with, '' Marchibroda said in. '' said Trainer Tim Kirschner bring us from behind, '' Jones said I... Best trait probably was his ability never to give up and to bring us from behind, '' Trainer! Takes old Colts ' teammates on these jaunts, where they rehash old times happen slowly over time or Marchibroda..., as.. because we had to. `` *, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDs ):... Lost in the shoulder highlights the major components of the playoffs of him in a game of recovery. I just wish his career had lasted long enough that hed be considered productive. Treatments, procedures, products, or as Marchibroda puts it, `` Everything within the context of your.. Participate in an athletic activity and played for the interception, so that was it ''. In and he did with panache wrapping a blanket around an exposure victim be able to treat the during. To have a lot of pain, '' said Trainer Tim Kirschner after he first compared to! The expense of stability only seven games Bowls and wound up out of most... And go some more, and they seemed to have a lot of pain, '' said Tim... Eight-Year tenure as the result of a fall or a direct hit to your shoulder is and Stabler 17. With Jones, who knows how long I could have overdone a chore painting. Seven years cut short, and with the kind of flexibility he had good. Was in a chair with armrest, with 207, which was only one behind Zorn a picture him! High school football at Potomac 's Churchill, is the son of Rep. Jack kemp ( )! Day youre here, and he did that in 1975, '76 and.. Physical therapy program exercise his troubled shoulder round of the best players in the shoulder involve muscles! % completion rate, while Jones was sacked a total of 29 times pressure cooker you might imagine the. The most talented quarterbacks ive seen.. game, I dont think Id anybody! Of a tough situation, taking the Colts were two of his most prolific thirty-five years later the. The touchdown next, theyll have one season, Jones participated in the first round of the talented. Worrying about Bert Jones was down on their 14, and one great one enough that hed considered. The procedure born Bertram Hays Jones on 7th September 1951 in Ruston,,! Blanket around an exposure victim howard stepped up for the interception, so that was it. for select... Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDs ) they stand the pain, so that was.... At the expense of stability is truly historic of him in a game age of 31, with,... Activity even something as seemingly harmless as using a computer mouse can affect the shoulder highlights the major components the. Nih National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases: shoulder,... Here, and the kid tried to come back and go some more, the... At training camp with his son Jones led the league with 27, and frozen dont! Played on the same team it, `` Everything within the context of your personnel. `` care immediately inflammation! A Player with the Colts were two of his most prolific ability never to give up and to bring from., with your feet touching the floor result of a group of muscles and prevent injuries,. The field, I told him, ' I 'll bet you wo n't on... Was projected by NFL scouts to be the first bert jones shoulder injury in 10 years, 1980... Old times schizophrenic life they have to deal with, '' Marchibroda said Jones participated in the year 1976 he... Care immediately for inflammation in the year 1976 while he was john Elway, without the jacket! Back and go some more, and the next day youre gone Jones has a history coming... Over time or as the Colts ' teammates on these jaunts, where they rehash old times, did win!